Timing & Planning
Allow yourself enough time to negotiate before your current lease expires.
Depending on the size of your facility, we recommend that you start the process 18 months to 1 year prior to the end of your lease or your expected move in date. Once you have identified a new facility it will take a minimum of 6 months to negotiate and relocate.
Before starting the site selection process review your corporate strategic plan and vision.
Sometimes companies lose sight of their strategic plan during the site selection process. They get diverted by enticing incentives, quality of life considerations, or some other element. While these factors are important, they are secondary. Remember, no matter how attractive they may seem, they will not turn a weak site into a suitable site.
Companies should be asking themselves the following questions:
- Where does your leadership team see the company in the next 5 to 10 years?
- Do you expect employment growth or reduction?
- Will you be adding a new product or service?
- Are there new distributions channels that you will be implementing?
- Will you be expanding into additional markets?
- Do you anticipate any changes to your supply chain?
- How will your relocation, expansion, or consolidation support your strategic plan?